Children had so much fun at Field Day today. Thanks to Mr. Miller, Mrs. Lew and all of the other volunteers that made the day so special for our kids. Thanks also to Mr. Taft and Mr. Hayhurst for arriving early to help set up.
In addition to Field Day, this week we’ve enjoyed a morning sing-along. Kids have enjoyed reading the lyrics to different songs.
Finding fun ways for kids to spend time with text has been an ongoing project for teachers this year. We hope that children will continue reading throughout the summer. The charts below show assessed reading levels for two children from one year to the next. Can you tell which child read daily over the summer and which one took a vacation from reading?
Thank you for sharing your children with us this year! It’s been so exciting to watch them grow! On Thursday, June 22 we will start the day with a special assembly and end the day with a “Send Off Archway” for our 5th Graders. At 3:00pm, students in kindergarten through fourth grade will line the walls of the main hall. At 3:03, 5th graders will leave the cafeteria for their last lap around the school. As 5th graders walk by, younger students and adults will do the silent Sexton Mt. Cheer (picture high arms and jazz hands). Fifth graders will walk all the way around the loop and back to the cafeteria then younger students will be dismissed.
This may be an emotional day for some of our students and staff as we send off such a special group of children. The children in fifth grade today will thrive in middle school and beyond! They are inclusive, kind, solution-oriented and most of all, they support one another in positive ways!
Teresa Clemens-Brower, Ed. D.
School Goal Updates, Successes and Challenges
· 95 Students have made 2+ years of growth in reading as measured by IRLA
· 58 Students have made 1.6-1.9 years of growth in reading as measured by IRLA
· 161 Students have made 1-1.59 years of growth in reading as measured by IRLA
· 442 Students are working at or above grade level in reading
· Ms. S’Moore has contacted families regarding summer virtual reading conferences for children working below grade level or those who have just reached grade level
· We have 270 minutes of literacy instruction still to come between now and summer break. We will finish strong!
Library Books are due! In the fall, students returning to Sexton Mountain or moving onto another Beaverton school (including middle school!) won't be able to check out books until their accounts are clear.
· Head Lice-It’s always a good idea to check heads weekly.
· Great readers make plans for future reading. Encourage your child to stay on track this summer by signing up for the summer reading program.
· Early Release Starts Fall of 2017 - When planning for next year, please remember that the District will implement an early release model beginning September 13. Sexton Mt. will release students at 1:35 on Wednesdays throughout the school year beginning September 13, 2017 https://www.beaverton.k12.or.us/PS/Pages/Early-ReleaseTeacher-Collaboration.aspx
*Wish List-These are items we’d love to have donated. If you have something on the list you’d like to donate, please send items to the school office.
· Children’s Books-We have several teachers changing grade levels so we can put books your child has outgrown to good use. Feel free to send donations of great books to the office. We’ll make sure they get to classroom libraries.
*Help Wanted-These are tasks with which we’d love to have help. If you are able to help, email Mrs. C.-B. at Teresa_Clemens-Brower@beaverton.k12.or.us and make sure your volunteer background check has been completed.
· Bulletin Board Clean Up—We’d love to have volunteers help take down the bulletin boards in the main hallways sometime Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. If you can help with this job, please see Mrs. Z for tools.
· Thanks to the Miller family for the generous donation of Gary Paulsen books.
· June 23 All Lost and Found Items not picked up by 4:00pm will be donated
· June 26 All Medications not picked up from Health Room by 4:00pm will be disposed of.
· June 29 Office closes at 4:00pm for the summer.
· Aug. 2 School Office Open 8am-Noon
· Aug. 9 School Office Open 8am-Noon
· Aug 31 - Back to School Night and Ice Cream Social 4:30pm-6:30pm-Classrooms will be open from 4:30-5:30pm for supply drop off.
· September 5-First Day of School for 1st-5th Grade
· September 5-First Day of School for Kindergarten Students Last Name A-L
· September 5-No School for Kindergarten Students Last Name M-Z
· September 6-No School for Kindergarten Students Last Name A-L
· September 6- First Day for Kindergarten Students Last Name M-Z
· September 6-This is the only Wednesday of the school year with a 3:05pm dismissal due to it being the first day of school for some kindergarten students and some students at the middle and high school level too.
· September 13-Early Release Wednesdays Begin-Sexton Mt. students will be dismissed at 1:35pm
· Here is a link to the BSD calendar to show when schools will be closed. Other dates specific to our school are below.
· September 14 – Curriculum Night 6:30pm
· September 29 – Movie Night 6:30pm
· October 13 – Picture Day
· October 19-20 – Parent Teacher Conferences (No School for Students)
· October 27 – Family Dance 6:30pm
· November 15 – Picture Retakes
· November 27 – Vision Screening
· January 19 – Bingo Night 6:30pm
· February 6 – Kindergarten Orientation 4:30pm-5:30pm
· February 23 – Talent Show 6:30pm
· March 7 – 2/3 Grade Music Performance 6:30pm
· April 11 – K/1 Grade Music Performance 6:30pm
· April 12 – STEAM Fair 6:30pm
· May 7-May 11 – Staff Appreciation
· May 15 – Jogathon
· May 18 – Carnival
· June 1 – Volunteer Appreciation 2:00pm-3:00pm
· June 2 – Run with the Eagle 5K
· June 6 – Literacy Night
· June 13 – 4/5 Grade Music Performance 6:30pm
· June 15 – Field Day