Dear Sexton Mt. Families,
The best part about cold, wet weather in June is that kids are much more likely to forget that summer is just around the corner. Kids are still engaged in the process of learning. We will finish strong.
The worst part of cold, wet weather in June is that Field Day, and other outdoor events, take a little extra planning. In order to prepare for Field Day this Friday, June 16, children may want to pack an extra set of clothing and shoes in order to be comfortable the rest of the day.
Teresa Clemens-Brower, Ed. D.
School Goal Updates, Successes and Challenges
- 91 Students have made 2+ years of growth in reading as measured by IRLA 53 Students have made 1.6-1.9 years of growth in reading as measured by IRLA
- 162 Students have made 1-1.59 years of growth in reading as measured by IRLA
- 430 Students are working at or above grade level in reading
- 91 Students are working below grade level in reading so we hope to provide extra summer support in order for students to continue to progress. Ms. S’Moore will contact families regarding summer virtual reading conferences for identified children.
- We have 720 minutes of literacy instruction still to come between now and summer break. We will finish strong!
Avoid the Summer Reading Slide-If two children end the school year at the same level in June, kids who read daily will return at a different level than kids who do not read daily. Readers make about 2 months growth. Non-readers lose about 2 months growth.
Head Lice-It’s always a good idea to check heads weekly.
Encourage your child to stay on track this summer by signing up for the summer reading program.
· Early Release Starts Fall of 2017 - When planning for next year, please remember that the District will implement an early release model beginning September 13. Sexton Mt. will release students at 1:35 on Wednesdays throughout the school year beginning September 13, 2017 https://www.beaverton.k12.or.us/PS/Pages/Early-ReleaseTeacher-Collaboration.aspx
· Thanks for keeping the office informed of any updated contact information.
· All medication (including allergy medicine and cough drops) must be signed in and out of the Health Room by an adult.
· Volunteer Background Checks must be completed by all volunteers. With so many field trips and special events coming up, please complete your background check today if you haven’t already OR call if you’re not sure if you have completed the updated form. Volunteers must complete Background Checks and must have been approved to volunteer prior to any event.
*Wish List-These are items we’d love to have donated. If you have something on the list you’d like to donate, please send items to the school office.
- · Donations of books by Mo Willems and Gary Paulsen will be put to good use by our readers
- · Shade/Rain canopies can be put to good use during Field Day.
*Help Wanted-These are tasks with which we’d love to have help. If you are able to help, email Mrs. C.-B. at Teresa_Clemens-Brower@beaverton.k12.or.us and make sure your volunteer background check has been completed.
· Emergency Backpack Restock-We regularly replace consumable items in our emergency backpacks. Volunteers are needed to help prep materials for a quick swap out on Thursday. If you can pack fruit snacks into groups of 5 (all materials and sample provided) before Thursday morning, feel free to by the office. You can take items home or do the here at school. We will have a work party from 2:00-3:00pm on Thursday, June 15 in the staff room to restock materials. Volunteers will replace 5 water bottles and 5 fruit snacks in each emergency backpack. Water and snacks currently in backpacks will be used for Field Day.
· Thanks to the amazing Tie Dye team and all who donated time and materials to make this event special for our children.
· June 16 Field Day (Volunteers must complete Background Checks prior to the event)
· June 16-Field Day Clean Up Party at 2:45pm-Please help bring items in from the field and get them sorted and put away.
· June 22- Last Day of School for Students. At 3:00pm we will make a “Send Off Archway” for our 5th Graders
- Kinder through Fourth Graders have backpacks on and line hallway with backs to wall at 3:00pm- As 5th graders walk by, younger students do the silent Sexton Mt. Cheer (high arm jazz hands)
- Fifth grade students leave cafeteria, travel past lost and found, work room, first grade pod, fifth grade pod, purple pod restrooms, 4th grade pod, kinder pod, office, back to cafeteria to meet up with parents or to buses or pick up area (they can’t stop by office or we will have a traffic jam).
- Other students dismiss as usual
· June 23 All Lost and Found Items not picked up by 4:00pm will be donated
· June 26 All Medications not picked up from the Health Room by 4:00pm will be disposed of.
· Aug. 2 School Office Open 8am-Noon
· Aug. 9 School Office Open 8am-Noon
· September 5-First Day of School for 1st-5th Grade
· September 5-First Day of School for Kindergarten Students Last Name A-L
· September 5-No School for Kindergarten Students Last Name M-Z
· September 6-No School for Kindergarten Students Last Name A-L
· September 6- First Day for Kindergarten Students Last Name M-Z
· September 6-This is the only Wednesday of the school year with a 3:05pm dismissal due to it being the first day of school for some kindergarten students and some students at the middle and high school level too.
· September 13-Early Release Wednesdays Begin-Sexton Mt. students will be dismissed at 1:35pm